When do parents assert too much control over “public” education?
I have recently – and quite startlingly I might add – become aware of the immense control that parents can assert in the realm of public education. Through the current onslaught of parental advocation, I have witnessed an immense bureaucratic backlash that, usually unbeknownst to the parent, negatively affects the public servants involved. Exacerbating the challenges of the recent-implemented No Child Left Behind act, teachers must now implement several interesting and usually ridiculous adaptations to ensure a ‘fair’ education in addition to laboring through ridiculous work to ensure compliance with NCLB. Thus, the intended essence of the law actually detracts from teachers teaching. I will be the first to admit that I am fully committed to accommodating students’ needs when such accommodations are needed. If my education goals for a student are only successful with adaptations then I will adjust my teaching style to promote this particular student’s scholarship. However, who decides what adjustments are needed and when is the accommodation line drawn?
My recent experiences have led me to the conclusion that the parent and district advocate (under the thumb of the parent) tend to be the wielders of such power. Of course, there are meetings that include educators and administrators to decide the ‘right’ path for the child, but in the end teachers often feel frustrated because the parents’ desires trump all other considerations. I cannot claim definitive knowledge on this subject since I do not have children, but I feel deep down that parents and educators should work together determining the best path for each child. For example, some parents, in an attempt to help their children, may create an accommodation ‘crutch’ that their children ultimately come to depend on. In one class a child does not receive the required adjustments every time and is successful, but in another class the child receives constant accommodations and when challenged, the child will eventually resort to their ‘dependence’ to be successful. How come the teachers cannot express this information with parents (especially when one general educator is all that is required in said meetings, when all should be present)? How are we supposed to educate the whole child when the eventuality of life is that the world does not display as much compassion as these precious middle school years? With overprotection comes the increased probability of failure during a ‘real’ challenge.
Small group testing, reading tests, enlarging font, extended time, repeating directions etc. are all fantastic strategies that work well and are necessary with particular students, but what happens when students can accomplish the same as the other students in the class, yet are still receiving these stifling accommodations. When does it become unfair for the teacher and the other students? And where do we draw the line to ensure the success of a child beyond our classroom?
Friday, December 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
As a parent, I would not dare to give medical treatment to my children as if I knew more than the doctor. I would not be so presumptuous to think that I knew more about, say, theology than my pastor who has studied it for many years. Of course my children are superior to all others (just like everyone else's, in their own opinion), but I'll leave professional work to the professionals.
Post a Comment